The importance of carbon monoxide detectors

UK Home Improvement

The Importance Of Carbon Monoxide Detectors


As something of a design trend, many people are now lucky enough to be able to have a stove or a working fireplace in their home. Whether it burns gas or solid fuels, there is a very real danger of carbon monoxide being released into the atmosphere; this is a toxic gas and can be extremely dangerous if breathed in. 

The deadly nature of this substance is made all the more worrying by the lack of colour, taste or odour, all of which means you could be going about your daily routine without realising that carbon monoxide is present in the air until it’s too late. There are roughly 50 deaths every year in the UK caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, with more suffering illness due to exposure to the gas whether in the home or the workplace.

With this in mind, it’s important that you have a way of knowing if there are high levels of this substance in your home. This article will give you more information about carbon monoxide poisoning, including the signs and symptoms.

What Are The Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Depending on how much of the substance you breathe in there are different symptoms and levels of poisoning. These are just of few of the different symptoms you might experience with a mild case of poisoning:

  • Disorientations
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Flu-like symptoms

If you think you might be experiencing any of these acute symptoms then it is recommended that you see your GP who will be able to advise you and recommend the right medication. They will also be able to diagnose how far spread the poisoning is to assess whether there are more serious issues which might have spread.

With a heavy dose or prolonged exposure to the gas there will be more serious consequences, with the nervous system and the heart being affected. This is obviously extremely dangerous and can be fatal, while for pregnant women there is the risk of their unborn child suffering the damaging effects of the poisoning.

How Can I Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

The only way to truly be sure that your living area is not impacted by carbon monoxide is to have a carbon monoxide detector which is fully functioning at all times. This should ideally be placed in the same room as your fireplace or wood burning stove to ensure you are alerted at the earliest possible moment.

At Fire Action we take all issues regarding fire safety very seriously and offer a range of fire alarm services, which is why we are fully accredited across the spectrum. You’ll not only get peace of mind with us but you can also be assured of the quality of our products and services. We’re based across greater London and the South East. If you’re looking for fire safety equipment, products or, get in touch with a member of our team today.


By clicking "Accept All Cookies", you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, assist in our marketing efforts, and for personalised advertising.

More Information Accept All Cookies