Is A New Garage Door Worth It?
Many of us still have the traditionally styled side hinged or up & over garage doors that have been installed in our homes for years, and although they function perfectly well, they aren’t offering the many benefits of a new, more modern garage door.
As more and more of us are utilising the garage as an extended living or working space, there are certain options and features we should consider for upgrading our garage doors, making the garage more comfortable and habitable.
So if you’re looking to upgrade your home with a new garage door installation, make sure you take everything into consideration.
By choosing a well-insulated garage door, you will not only improve the comfort of the garage space by locking out cold draughts and keeping in warm air, but you will also experience greater energy efficiency. This is particularly the case if your garage is attached to your home, as it can massively impact on your energy bills, while also increasing soundproofing through quieter operation.
There are many types and options for insulating your garage door, including:
- Polyurethane Insulation – blown into the gap between the skins of the door to enhance insulation properties, structural integrity and durability.
- Expanded Polystyrene Insulation – fitted to the door to provide an efficient solution that keeps your garage warm in winter and cool in summer, and protects it from the weather.
- Weatherseals – many new garage doors come with a weatherseal around the edges to stop the draughts getting in and heat escaping.
Enhanced Curb Appeal
The appearance – or curb appeal – of your house is essential, whether you’re looking to sell, create a friendly home or uphold the residential appeal of your local area. So it’s important that the first impression you give to visitors is a good one!
That’s why many people are turning to designer garage doors, unique styles and bespoke solutions to add to, and enhance, one of the most important visual features of their homes.
From traditionally styled carriage house doors to complement period homes, to Hörmann’s collection of façade doors that blend seamlessly into their surrounds, some people are choosing contemporary garage doors that perfectly match the front door of their homes, whilst others are choosing to make a feature of their garage with funky design elements, patterns and finishes.
One of the most important aspects to consider with your new garage door installation is the security. This is especially true if your garage is attached to your home as you will want to ensure that every entrance to your home is secured properly.
There are more options than ever before for your garage security features, ranging from T bar locks and common remote controls to more advanced methods, such as biometric locks and apps that allow you to control the opening and securing of your garage door with your smart phone.
- T bar locks – that are drilled into the floor to visibly enhance security. Although they can be inconvenient if you enter your garage on a daily basis, they act as a great deterrent to intruders.
- Remote opening – with rolling codes to ensure that the code cannot be copied to provide unauthorised access when you’re not there.
- Biometric locks – let you programme in up to 20 access fingerprints to allow you and your family access without a key, code or remote.
As technology advances, there are many ideas coming onto the market that will improve your garage door appearance, energy efficiency and security. So you can be sure that there’s a whole range of choices to upgrade your garage door – from new locks and some simple insulation, to investing in new garage door installation that offers all the benefits of advanced technology, including biometric locks and unique façade doors.